Duke University Offering Courses for Aspiring Social Media Influencers

Lucy Tiokeng, Staff Writer

As time goes by and technology continues to develop, new jobs have started to emerge. Social media outlets like Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok have become resourceful occupational outlets for people who consider themselves “social media influencers.” Along with this job’s rapid rise and more freelance approach, no type of degree or certification has been necessarily required to pursue this career. Although formal education in the social media field is not imperative to some, there are certain companies and organizations that would appreciate these qualifications. Companies like McDonalds and Crumbl have very active and relevant social media presences. Unlike in the past, social media managers and content creators have become an essential part of marketing today. Duke University’s school of business has recognized this, and has offered a digital media and marketing course for qualifying students. This class will be taught solely online and will feature teaching modules like advanced content marketing, social media, pay per click (PPC), and an opportunity for students to be certified as a digital marketing associate. As colleges are starting to adapt to the evolving workforce opportunities, it’s exciting to see how other schools and students will react.