The Qatar Controversies – World Cup 2022

Amna Farooq, Staff Writer

On December 2nd 2010 it was announced that the 2022 World Cup will take place in Qatar. Even during the time of this announcement many people raised their voice on how Qatar used bribery to get the chance to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The controversy died down after some time. Even though the controversy was less evident it was still in the back of everyone’s mind.

As the World Cup came closer and closer the old controversy arose with additional controversies emerging. The most prominent and recent controversy is surrounding Qatar and its regulations towards those who traveled to Qatar specifically to attend the games. Controversy brewed as they enforce legal changes. As a Muslim country they relaxed there alcohol laws allowing fans to consume alcohol even though it is an illegal act in Qatar. This upsetted many Muslim fans. Just a few days before the World Cup started they announced that there will be no alcohol sold at the stadiums. It is not clear if this was the effect of the pressure that some fans put on Qatar regarding their laws. 

The second controversy involved allowing women and men to mingle even though it is not generally common because of the distinct segregation of males and females in the country. Qatar was heavily criticized for its treatment towards LGBTQ+ individuals in the past leading to many other controversies. Some fans were stopped by security for wearing rainbow colored items. 

The controversies did not stop with the fans. Players and teams were also embroiled in newsworthy polemics. Iran wanted the U.S to be removed from the World Cup because of a social media post “disrespecting” Iran’s flag. Iranian team members were  threatened by the government for not respecting the national anthem. Iranian team players openly support protesters and some do not say the national anthem resulting in the government threatening them and their families.

It is clear that the World Cup is more than just a soccer tournament.  It also brings to light international relations and simmering social justice issues.  Heritage High School student weighed on the criticism Qatar has received.

“Qatar has caused a lot of controversies but at the end of the day it is their country and their law. I think that everyone should respect that and this should have already been known when they were announced to be hosting the World Cup in 2010. We are no one to judge their stance. If there are specific things their laws and religion don’t allow then the rest of us should try to understand and just try to enjoy the World Cup to the best of our abilities.” – Anonymous

Finally, one question that everyone seems to have an opinion on is what to actually call the sport:  Football or Soccer?

For most counties it is considered football but in the US, Canada, South Africa and some Asian countries it is called soccer. The game is played with a ball and feet, so football is the most logical name for the sport.  American football is primarily played with a ball that is thrown, passed or handed off.  Rarely does the foot make contact with the ball, other than punting and field goal attempts. Of all the controversies surrounding the World Cup, the safest one to bring up for debate is what to call the sport.