A Senior Looks Back: Lukas Markussen’s High School Experience

photo courtesy of Lukas Markessun

Lukas Markessun is an aviation aficionado. He enjoys making his own drones.

Nate Workneh, Staff Writer

Graduate of Monroe, Leader of Robotics, and future student of Embry Riddle. Meet Lukas Markussen, a student at Heritage High School.

Lukas was born in Fairfax Virginia but lived in Ashburn for about 2 to 3 years until he and his family moved to Leesburg Virginia. Lukas went to Tolbert Elementary School, then Harper Park Middle School and now is attending Heritage High School as a senior. Upon entering Heritage, Lukas felt like he was no longer a middle schooler.

When Lukas was a child, he became a Boy Scout along with his friends . However, unlike some of his friends, Lukas stuck with the Boy Scouts until he became an Eagle Scout in the summer of  2018. For his final Eagle Scout project, Lukas built a bridge at the Blue Ridge Center or Environmental Stewardship.

One thing Lukas likes to do in his free time is to tinker with his 3D printer he build, flying and building drones, and also playing video games. He got into building drones by watching video on Youtube. This sparked his interest in drones and aviation. He also is a member of the rocket tree club which build rockets and Makerspace which studies STEM subjects.

Lukas also does rock climbing, goes to Ju Jitsu, and runs to stay fit. Lukas co founded his own running group with his friend called the Shirtless Gang. They get together and run after school whenever they are up to it or if the weather is nice. He is also trying to get his aviation licence by taking classes and practicing in the air.

Lukas works at CACI which stands for Consolidated Analysis Centers, Inc. The company provides information solutions and services in support of national security missions and government transformation for Intelligence, Defense, and Federal Civilian customers (CACI).

Lukas does  a lot for his family too. Lukas’s sister Annalise appreciates how Lukas is so nice to her. He drives her to the gym, to and from school, and takes her rock climbing if she need him. Annalise continues to  says, “He also inspires me by his ability to think so technically and creatively.”

Lukas is planning to pursue his interests in engineering at Embry Riddle in Arizona and studying electrical engineering. When asked if there is anything he would like to say to everyone reading, Lukas replied with, “Yes.”

And that’s all Lukas had to say about that.