The Hot Topic of Membean

The Hot Topic of Membean

Katelyn Jones, Staff Writer

Membean. Some hate it and some love it. It all depends on who you are and what interests you. The first thing you should know about Membean is the beginning test. This is for placement and the jist of it is that you are given a group of words and the person is asked to select whether or not the person knows the definition. After interviewing several people the general statement was that the test is fairly easy but it is just annoying to take and takes a lot of class time.

In addition, the next step is actually being introduced to the program of Membean. The data collected from 8 students is that the average amount of time spent each week on Membean is 45 Minutes. Heritage slowly introduced Membean starting it in a few classrooms and then the school decided to continue on with Membean this year. It is in the entire English department this year and students are not as thrilled with it as the teachers are. The vocabulary enhancer is assigned as homework in most classes and is not pleasing to the students of the school.

As displayed in the following quote by a Senior, Anna Khan, Membean has not gotten the most warm welcome from students at Heritage. “It doesn’t help and and takes up too much time” , she said. Sadly enough she is not the only student who feels this way. As a student I have heard many of my peers talk about how they dislike Membean and it takes a long time to do. The school tried their best to help us increase our vocabulary and once again we disliked it. The new question is, will any student ever like to have their vocabulary tested? Probably not.  Well, there you have it folks, that’s the scoop on Membean at Heritage.