Sleep We (Don’t) Get as High School Students

Anna Kahn, Staff Writer

Everyone can agree that sleep is an essential part of function as a proper human being. So why do high school students seem to be getting so little sleep? The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Protection) said that, teenagers from 13-18 years old should be getting eight to ten hours of sleep per day. According to the CDC, children and adolescents who do not get enough sleep have a higher risk of obesity, diabetes, injuries, poor mental health (like anxiety), and problems with attention and behavior. 

Courtesy of Google Images
How sleep can affect your health

Students at our school receive an average of five hours of sleep per day. This number was provided with a survey given to students in various grades here at Heritage High School. In order to get enough sleep each day to make sure you are in peak performance, you should stick to a constant sleep schedule, limit technology usage before bed, and avoid drinking caffeine a couple hours before bed. 

Courtesy of Google Images

When asking fellow high school students why they don’t get enough sleep every day, most of their answers are the same. They are too busy with homework, sports, work. Students plainly don’t have enough time in their day to get all of their work done! Keeping a planner to list out all the important events in your day, will help you prioritize what needs to be done. Sleep should be at the top of everyone’s list! Give it a try for a couple weeks and I bet you will feel better than before! We should value sleep as much as we value food and water. It’s an essential part in everyone’s life no matter your work/school schedule, etc.

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/features/students-sleep/index.html