Should LCPS Schools Require All Athletes to Get Vaccinated?

Erica Ellison, Staff Writer

Editorials in The Paw Print reflect those of the author and do not reflect the views of Heritage High School or the Administration.

Recently, there has been a debate on whether or not schools should require the Covid-19 vaccine to play sports for school. Many people believe it should be required to keep other athletes safe. Other people believe it should be that person’s choice what to do with their body. People need to realize that mandating a vaccine to play sports while allowing a  full student section of spectators  who may or may not be vaccinated doesn’t make sense. Whether it is to play sports or even attend school, I personally believe that it should not be a requirement to get vaccinated if that’s not what you want to do with your body.

There is a whole other issue with our student sections at sporting events having no restrictions but the athletes have the ultimatum of getting vaccinated to play. Just think, the stands at football games are packed with students and parents and authority has no issue with it but the second someone puts a helmet on, a vaccine is mandatory. If it is not a requirement for spectators standing shoulder to shoulder to be vaccinated why should it be mandated for the athletes? Vaccines should not dictate a person’s ability to play a high school sport.

Heritage High School athletes have varying views on this topic. Maddie Scassa, captain of the Cross Country, believes that being vaccinated to be able to play high school sports is wise for safety purposes, but should not be mandated, for Scassa, it should be a personal choice.

Carissa Baugus, a player on the Heritage basketball team, also believes that it is not fair to have the vaccine be required.

Arguably, it may be safer for people to get vaccinated and it may make them feel more comfortable while participating. In addition, parents might feel better about sending their kids to practices and games. I believe it is important to consider the sport, how it is played and where it is played.   For example, softball and baseball are very spaced out and played in open air fields, so why make it required?

I understand the school board just wants everyone to be healthy and safe, but it should not be their decision whether or not athletes get vaccinated.