Teacher Shortage in the United States

Teacher Shortage in the United States

Lucy Tiokeng, Staff Writer

As we enter the 2021-2022 school year, many school districts across the country have been experiencing a teacher shortage. Following the many questions as to why the shortage is happening, there are a series of answers. Many teachers have chosen to either switch careers or retire. The unexpected spare time brought to people during quarantine led teachers to new passions, which led some to new careers. From February 2020 to May 2020, over one million teachers either resigned or retired. Another undermined cause of the teacher shortage is the declining number of college students selecting education based majors. The declining number of college students studying to be educators along with current teachers resigning has taken a major toll on employers, students, and schools as a whole. In Loudoun County, some students without permanent teachers are taught by multiple substitutes at a time. This prevents those student from getting comfortable with their teacher and their teaching styles. To combat the shortage, some school districts have implemented staff retention bonuses to keep current employees. Although the number of COVID cases is declining, the aftermath of it continues to affect people across the country.