The Possible Issues with Asynchronous Days

Lucy Tiokeng, Staff Writer

During the virtual learning year, students in Loudoun adapted to our new schedule which included an asynchronous learning day every Monday. Kids were able to benefit from the asynchronous day in various ways. Even though asynchronous learning days aren’t necessarily days off from school, most Heritage students rarely received assignments on Mondays. This lead to students like freshman, Matthew Tiokeng  inconsistently checking his emails and Schoology for assignment updates on asynchronous Mondays. Tiokeng used his asynchronous days to recuperate and prepare for the week, while also completing assignments teachers may have assigned.

¨Asynchronous Mondays for me were a day to chill out and mentally prepare for the week,¨ Tiokeng said.

Students not being required to check in with teachers on asynchronous days resulted in many late and missing assignments, and teachers were obliged to address these missing assignments with students later in the week.

Some parents in LCPS also have issues with having asynchronous days this 2021-2022 school year. Michel Noumbo, struggles to understand the need for asynchronous learning days for students like his 9 year old daughter.

“While my daughter was at home during asynchronous days, she usually didn’t receive any homework from her teachers. And with her being so young, I have to find somebody to be at home with her while I was at work.”

With the many perspectives and opinions on asynchronous learning days, it’s not clear if LCPS will continue with the practice from the virtual school year.