What’s next? The Newport News School Shooting

Kylie Seaman, Staff writer

On January 6th, 2023, a six year old at Richneck Elementary School, shot his first grade teacher, Abigail Zwerner.  While school shootings have become a tragically common headline, one that deals with such a young student is extremely rare.

“This is an unprecedented situation we’re dealing with. A 6- year old. It is unprecedented. So, there are some nuances here.” Chief Steve Drew stated. (Police briefing

At the police briefing, Chief Steve Drew ended by stating that this incident was “not accidental. It was intentional.”

Ms. Zwerner was finishing teaching a lesson when the child stood up, pointed a 9-millimeter Taurus handgun at her, and pulled the trigger. She immediately took a defensive position holding her hand out in front of her. The bullet penetrated through her hand into her upper chest.  Abigail Zwerner  survived the shooting but she was in the hospital for two weeks, in critical condition. 

There were “so many heroes that day,” according to Drew. Ms. Zwerner was able to get all of her students out of her class to safety before she got herself help. All the teachers and other staff stepped up to the plate of comforting students as they waited for their parents to pick them up. Police officials acted with light and patient spirits as kids were unsure of the scary and uncertain circumstance they were facing. 

Once police officials had made it to the site of the shooting, they divided themselves so they were able to be of assistance for everyone. Two sheriff’s deputies made it to the classroom first, followed by two other officers. From there, the officers restrained the child. The child was brought to a police vehicle with an officer inside and outside of the car. Police officials made sure to do a full sweep of the building to ensure safety of the other children and staff. As the officers checked out the school building, all students and staff were evacuated to the gymnasium and the students from the classroom shooting were held in the library, with detectives and school counselors.

The 6-year old shooter was taken to a hospital to be thoroughly checked out.  The boy’s home and family are being investigated.

Three weeks into this investigation, new allegations have surfaced.  Zwerner’s lawyer, Diane Toscano, spoke publicly for the first time, stating that this situation could have been prevented.

“This tragedy was entirely preventable, if the school administrators, responsible for school safety, had done their part and taken action when they had knowledge of imminent danger. But instead, they failed to act, and Abby was shot”  Toscano. 

Reportedly,  Zwerner and a few of her colleagues approached administrators stating their concerns about the student and that they felt he needed to be searched for a weapon. Administrators were warned a total of four times before the shooting occurred. Now, Zwerner is suing the school board in her county.