History of the Mr. Heritage Competition

Kathryn Welker, Staff Writer

Many teachers I have talked to say Mr. Heritage is truly a highlight of Snow-Coming week. This tradition has been going on for at least a decade, not only at Heritage but at many other local high-schools. The contest is February 10th  and tickets are sold at the door for $7.  All profit goes to support school wide programs offered by the Student Council Association (SCA).

The Mr. Heritage competition begins with a group dance and introduction of the contestants.  Contestants are judged in several categories:   Evening wear, dream career, an interview question, a talent, and the people’s choice award.

The show provides a fun night for students to come together for a good laugh. The winner of the contest receives a very coveted prize: bragging rights.

Here is a breakdown of what to expect during the show.

The group introduction dance includes the contestants coming out in formal wear strutting their stuff performing a choreographed dance.

The dream career category: Contestants present their ‘dream’ career to the crowd wearing something that presents the career. They are also asked a spontaneous question about their dream career.

The talent category: Contestants will perform a ‘talent.’  In years past talents have included everything from music, magic tricks, comedy routines and even lightsaber fighting.

The People’s Choice category: Students vote for contestants during school. However, this does NOT determine who will win Mr. Heritage, this just determines who wins people’s choice.

The panel of judges for Mr. Heritage include preselected Heritage High School staff and students.  After judging all the categories, the judges come together to decide who is most deserving of the crown.