Artist Spotlight- Corina Alvarez

Erica Ellison, Staff Writer

Corina Alvarez, a senior here at Heritage High School, has been passionately partaking in art since 2016. During her freshman year, Alvarez took Art 1 and immediately jumped to AP Art her junior year. She has continued her coursework in AP Art this year as well.

Art is not an easy thing to do but Alvarez makes it seem like a piece of cake. On average, her pieces can take anywhere between 5 to 10 hours. Her longest piece, however, took 30 hours. Yes, 30 hours and many sleepless nights. This piece was painted as an exact replica of the buyer’s home as a gift for the buyer’s husband. This piece sold for $750.

Paint is not the only form of media Alvarez uses. Most of her media is out of the ordinary and not something you would expect from just looking at her pieces.

With the green fish piece, she made the fish from the use of Q-Tips and nailpolish. The bubbles around the fish were made from toilet paper and the bottom of an acrylic paint bottle. She made the sharp edges look so clean from the use of masking tape. Her original idea was to only paint one fish but to fill more space, she put in more time and effort to add the second one.

Alvarez’s favorite piece by far is the skull. She put so much time and effort into creating this and it paid off. This piece got a feature in the Heritage Uproar Art Magazine. Not only does this piece look very cool, it comes with such an inspiring message. She based this piece off of perseverance and focusing on the little things that make you happy, hence every little detail included. To sum it up, her message through this piece is to inspire someone to keep pushing when it feels like they can’t anymore and to focus on what is ahead.

On top of all of her artwork, Alvarez is a full time softball player and has been playing since she was little. She is currently the starting catcher for the Heritage softball team and is committed to Virginia Commonwealth University with a plan to double major in Art and Business and a minor in Psychology. If anyone can do it, it is Corina Alvarez.